Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Return of the Return... please

I am having some formatting woes in Blogger.

Jen, who has mastered Microsoft Word styles; created her own report, letter, fax and other templates; can get by on tables, spreadsheets, layering images to create illustrations for reports, and beat Publisher documents into submission - can't always get a space between paragraphs in Blogger.

The main problem lies with the ALWAYS in that last sentence. Why does it work sometimes and not others? Sometimes, just for variety, it ends up with two lines between paragraphs (or actually one double-spaced line). I've tried using the Enter key at the end of one sentence, and then at the beginning of the next. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I've tried multiple Enter keystrokes. I've resorted to putting small full stops on each line to keep the spacing. I've checked out the 'Help' section of blogger, and it doesn't come up as an issue. There is no friendly formatting button that would allow me to review what is different about how the computer is reading my Enter keystroke.

It seems to be one of those arbitary computer things where there is probably a simple answer and I JUST CAN'T FIND IT!!!!

This does cause me problems. I'm one of those horrible, proof-reading nazis. I've developed these skills over years of producing technical reports. I can spot the accidental double-space, the accidental change of font size or paragraph that's out of alignment. I like my work to be spaced out, not only to look pretty, but to make it really easy to see changes in ideas. It is driving me nuts!

What are the chances that now I have vented my spleen publicly the computer will take the opportunity to never, ever do it again? Thereby causing me to loose face in the daily war 'twixt me and machine?

...Actually quite close to 100%

...Unless it thinks I'm trying to double-bluff it, and reads this blog as an attempt to get it to behave, in which case

...Aproximately None

11 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

And what do you know, it behaved today? ARRRrrrrggghhhhh!

Swift Jan said...

If it makes you feel any better Jen... mine does that too!

Hippomanic Jen said...

Oh, so it's more than just my computer plotting to undermine me. It's a vast conspiracy!

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I'm so glad it's not just me. All I want is for there to be one empty line between paragraphs. Is the same font throughout a post too much to ask?

I actually find myself wrapping my hands around the 'neck' of the computer monitor and shaking it slightly.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Does it work?

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Stangling a computer is of approximately no benefit, save a small feeling of relaxation at having expressed oneself.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Bonus points for the 'approximately no' above.

Givinya De Elba said...

I hate the way that happens.

I go into the "Edit HTML" tab in the compose window and try to work out what's gone on - with HOW much knowledge of HTML code? Approximately none. But I try.

I get rid of the < p > things and the < div > things (minus spaces), and replace them with two hard returns.

Then there are the times when one return in "Edit HTML" equates to a big gap in "Compose" and HOW much idea do I have on how to fix THAT? Approx = 0.

I hate that.

Givinya De Elba said...

Ha. I love the way your spaces worked but your poor freezing fingers could only put one 'p' in "Approximately." Heh heh. It's all out to get you.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Yep, definitely the computer messing with my spelling. Definitely.

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.