Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My QWEPTY Keyboard

I don't know if you've ever run into this way of describing keyboards for computers. Generally in Australia we would have what is called a 'QWERTY' keyboard, which relates to the letters that run along the top left hand row. I'm presuming that somewhere in the world there is an alternate standard that has different letters in that position. I could look that up on the net, but frankly, if you're reading this blog you seriously have the time to find out for yourself (and I'm perfectly happy living in the mystery).

My keyboard is different. Firstly it is a split keyboard. I find it more comfortable, and (because I touch-type) it has the added bonus that I can't over-stretch my fingers to hit the wrong key, like 't' instead of 'y' or 'n' instead of 'b'. They are separated by unresponsive plastic.

There's also the fact that I've set up my keyboard to recognise polytonic Greek symbols. I dabble in ancient Greek with all the combinations of accents, graves, breathing marks and the odd circumflex. So with a simple left Alt + Shift I can write in tongues. At an incredibly slow pace.

I noticed this afternoon that I'm going to have some issues if others want to use my computer. It appears that the angle at which some of my fingernails hit the keys has started to chip away at the printed letters. The 'n' is unrecognisable as an English character. The 's' and the 'v' are missing bits. Probably the worst one, though is the 'r'. It has entirely lost one of its legs, resulting in my keyboard having two 'p's. A QWEPTY keyboard, in fact.

There are two facts that mean it won't cramp my style.
1. I touch-type, so rarely look at the letters (I wonder how long it's been like that?)
2. The Greek letter rho (tranliterated 'R') looks like a 'P' anyway.

How much do you want to buy my keyboard right now?
... Approximately None.


Femina said...

Bwahahaa... an ancient Greek joke. I'm a TOTAL geek, because all I read of that sentence was "rho", knew where you were going with it and chuckled aloud. There goes all my street cred...

Long dark hair, blue eyes said...

I can't touch type but my husband can and he uses one of those keyboards - they scare the hell out of me.

My solution to the letters issue is nail polish (to write them on the keys) or a new keyboard?

Dee from Downunder said...

I do the half touch type half look, so I need the letters there ha ha ha You must type ALOT to have the letters worn away

June Saville said...

You're a wise little sausage - thinking about ergonomics. I type really fast but can't touch type. No-one told me what to do - just 'sit down and have a go'. As a result, after eons of typing on ancient keyboards with metal rings around the keys to electronic golf ball types, to computers, you wouldn't want my arthritic hands!

Anonymous said...

My first test blog.
my first test blog
[url=] my first test blog [/url]