Thursday, October 23, 2008

Xe45mpbvp0

I can't take it anymore!!!!!

I have reasonable eyesight. I often wear glasses when I'm at the computer, but I can still get away without them most of the time. But not necessarily when I'm commenting on a blog and they have that letter recognition code thingy.

I don't like it, but most of the time you can see before you comment that it's required. Mostly it's legible. Sometimes I have to have another go, because the 'l' was actually a 't' with a very tiny cross that I thought was just part of it going around the corner in some weird, twisted fashion.

But I ran across one today that not only had a combination of letters and numbers (What's the difference between a the letter 'O' and a zero in that style of writing?), it was on a very textured background, the letters were sort of chipped AND had strange lines across the whole thing. Worst of all, it was dark grey writing with black lines on varying shades of grey texture. Arrrrggghhh! And it was a secret code, because it only came up after I'd gone to the bother of entering my details and writing a comment.

The blogger obviously wants people to comment. They were featured on a blog recognition and support site. But did they have to make it so hard to do so?

Now I can understand not wanting to get spammed. It hasn't happened to me, but I recognise that some blogs get a little more traffic than mine, and therefore are prime targets for spammers. But I reserve the right not to comment on your blog if you expect me to go cross-eyed and if I haven't got my glasses handy.

How much do I want to offend my bloggy buddies who do choose to protect themselves this way?

... Approximately Not at All - but I needed to have a whinge.

9 comments:

Dee said...

Ahh, i think we just read the same blog. It was a bit annoying that one... I got it wrong first time too, or maybe it thought I was an automated robot that could actually read, and was just testing me....

Anonymous said...

I hate those things too! I'll try twice, and if I still can't read it, I don't bother. Maybe the author of that blog will check back and see your post?

And I saw your comment. I think a stick is 1/2 a cup or 1/4 a pound if that helps? I had to look it up too. 10X sugar is probably confectioner's sugar, aka icing sugar. The T is probably a tablespoon. Does that help?

Melanie

Swift Jan said...

Say no to word verification!! We need to spread the word ;) Check out my side bar......

Givinya De Elba said...

I've seen that "Say no to word verification" thing - sounds good. I got rid of word verification on my own blog because I hated doing them on other people's. I was terrified. I was certain I'd get heaps of spam.

I'm still alive. I haven't had spam messages on comments on my site.

Swift Jan said...

Jen I just copied it & pasted pretty much. SO just copy mine :)

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I also avoid word verification blogs, as they drive me bonkers.

I've never been spammed either.

Mom said...

Instead of using word verification for spam I just have mine set to owners approval. That way if it's spam I can just delete it.

Can we also add auto music players to that list. It drives me nuts when I click on the blog and music is blasting.

Aleta said...

LOL. I have a word verification thingie, but PLEASE let me know if it's ever a big issue. I tend to look a the letters quickly and always have to retype it. I really should remove it from my own. Thanks for the smiles.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Doesn't it mess with your mind when the word verification is ACTUALLY A REAL WORD????!!!

I always feel like I've won the jackpot when that happens.