Monday, August 29, 2011

Possibly a good call.

I came up with a wonderful way to have a Sunday arvo relax yesterday.

A number of people had suggested that the movie "Red Dog" was worth seeing: Great scenery, touching story, and outback Australian humour.

I suggested it to my Mum for us (she, Dad, my Beloved and I) to go to the afternoon session after we had our weekly family lunch.

She went quiet.

For some reason, despite having heard it was a good movie and wanting to support the Australian film industry, she wasn't really keen.

...You see, there was a fair possibility that a movie called "Red Dog" might, just might possibly have a red cattle dog in it...

... and that a red cattle dog of similar size and shape tried to eat her last year.

So she elected not to come with us. She'll give it a go when it's on TV and she doesn't have to pay for it only to leave 10 minutes in.

I tell ya, the weirdest thing about that movie was being able to 'read' all the cultural and stylistic stuff that was, in essence my early childhood: terry towelling hats, short stubbie shorts, tight raglan-sleeved t-shirts, brightly coloured plastic strips hung from doorways to keep the flies out, brown and cream Land Cruisers and red dust. Yep. My childhood. Weird.

And I keep giggling about the way stories were told and how you had to read between the lines to know what was going on. Goodness knows what anyone would make of it who wasn't Australian (or even Australians who weren't around in that era). One of my particular favourite jokes was that they included "Melbourne" among "all the countries of the world". Definitely foreign. ;)

But when I saw a close-up of some spectacular canine teeth, I thought that the chance that Mum was wrong to miss the movie was...

5 comments:

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I just read a review for that book, but I didn't know it was a movie!

Givinya De Elba said...

Sounds like my childhood too!

Emily Sue said...

Well, that's one movie definitely off my list. Good to know.

BB said...

Must see it! Maybe it need subtitles of culural interpretation?
:-)
BB

Tracy P. said...

Hey HJ! Fun to see you closer to home today than usual! Trust me, there is a reason why I accumulated shots over the summer and included them in one post. Not one shot of the whole garden at the same time. Life is what you make it, right? ;-)

And good for your Mum--she knows her limitations. Wise woman.