Sunday, February 20, 2011

... and then I turned the page...

I was emailing with Emily Sue this week and expressing my relief that I've obviously done enough work on English case to be able to get some kind of handle on Greek case endings.

Last time I studied I was only ever able to get a grip on the genitive case as possession was the only thing that made sense to me out of all the rest.

She indicated that she didn't entirely get genitive when she studied it.

I didn't understand how that was so.

Then I turned the page in my text-book and it starts to give helps with translation and exegesis from the genitive case. It's throwing around terms like descriptive, separation, apposition, and plenary.

And the chance that the wheels haven't fallen off my ability to understand what the heck is going on here?

3 comments:

Emily Sue said...

Oh dear. I'm sure you'll get it. :) I was hindered by the fact that I had Latin in my head too, and they're similar enough to lull me into false security.

Givinya De Elba said...

That'll teach you to turn the page.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

LOL Givinya!